Latest Health & Safety News

Firm Fined £50,000 Over Worker's Death

Posted By Kerry Budworth on 2015-11-02 10:49

Worker Dies From Inhalation of Dichloromethane Vapour

 A Dundee employer has been fined £50,000 after a worker died from the inhalation of fumes while cleaning a chemical stripping paint tank at a motor vehicle repair company. The Dundee Sheriff Court heard how on the 18th of August 2011, Steven Conway, 33, from Dundee died from the inhalation of dichloromethane vapour.

Mr Conway was employed by Diamond Wheels (Dundee) Limited to undertake general duties at its Dryburgh Industrial Estate, premises. These duties included collections and deliveries, removing and replacing tyres, and moving alloy wheels into, and out of, the chemical stripping tank.

It was found during the Health and Safety Executive investigation that Mr Conway was provided with absolutely no formal training in respect of the use of the chemical stripping tank and the chemical stripping agent used by the company. It was reported that he was given ‘on the job’ training.

The court heard that Mr Conway, was overcome by dichloromethane vapour while attempting to remove stripping debris from within the chemical stripping tank. He died as a result of his exposure to those vapours.

Diamond Wheels (Dundee) Limited, of Nethergate, Dundee, was fined £50,000, after pleading guilty to offences under Section 2(1) and 33(1)(a) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

If you are looking for health & safety services in Leicester or across the United Kingdom, If you have any questions in relation to Health & Safety services or requirements in general, give us a call on 01455 234 600 or contact us online.  

Contact Us Now