What is Xylene?
Xylene is a clear, colourless liquid with an odour that generally provides adequate warning of hazardous concentrations. It is volatile and readily produces flammable and toxic concentrations at room temperature. It’s vapour is heavier than air and may accumulate in low-lying areas.
Xylene can enter the body by inhalation or skin/eye contact.
Symptoms / Effects of Exposure
Inhalation: Symptoms can include the following
- Irritation of the nose and throat.
- Severe exposure can cause unconsciousness.
Skin Contact: Symptoms include
Can be absorbed through the skin, but harmful effects are not expected.
Eye Contact: May cause mild irritation.
Ingestion: Symptoms include
- effects as described for inhalation.
- Aspiration hazard. May be drawn into the lungs if swallowed causing severe lung damage.
- Death can result.
Effects of Long-Term Exposure: Can cause dry, red, cracked skin (dermatitis) following skin contact. May harm the nervous system.